Thursday, March 17, 2005

An orchestra concert and an acceptance letter

Today's school day was fairly normal. In European History class, we took part in our "termfest" competition, where the class is divided into two teams that each send up one player at a time to guess what term our teacher is describing. Each competition the list of terms grows with the terms from the current unit. Today's match was a decisive 25-10 victory for the seniors over the sophomores and the one junior of the class. In Spanish, we reviewed vocabulary, learned some idioms, and took some AP practice tests. In Human Biology, we learned about muscle and neural tissue. In Band we sight read a few new pieces that we may or may not play at our next concert. Finally, in chemistry we finished up our lab by weighing the precipitate, which had more or less dried (in my case, it was less).

When I got home, though, I found that I had recieved a letter in the mail. I opened it and found that I had been accepted to Lawrence University. They said that They really liked my essay and that I would be recieving a $5000 a year merit scholarship on top of need-based aid, should I decide to attend Lawrence. I will decide once I recieve letters of acceptance or decline from a few other colleges and take a final tour of those to which I have been accepted.

I then watched a wrestling match of my brother, Kit. He seems to be an unlikely wrestler, as he is quite a bit smaller than most middle schoolers. However, he was able to get a pin on his opponent in the first match, but he lost the second match. This was the first wrestling match that I have seen, but I must admit that I was a bit bored watching middle schoolers wrestle, which was probably not helped by the fact that I am a bit tired from missing some sleep.

After the match, I had a bit of supper and got ready for the String Festival, which is the all-city orchestra concert. The concert starts with fifth graders playing violin in the Suzuki style. The sixth graders were the first actual orchestra. Each group played two or three pieces. As this concert was really an event for the parents's sakes, I found it to be a bit boring and was half asleep by the time the eighth graders had finished. However, I was ready to play when we started with Pirates of the Caribbean followed by Lord of the Dance. The music was actually pretty fun, despite the lack of melody in the third horn part and past experiences from Symphony.

No comments: