Saturday, February 05, 2005

At my father's apartment

My parents are currently undergoing the process of divorce and are currently working out a custody settlement. Currently, I stay at my dad's house for Wednesday and Thurday evenings (staying at my mother's overnight). On Saturdays we stay at his apartment all day and stay overnight. My father apparently wants half custody, which would end up meaning that we would stay at his apartment for a whole week, every other week. I don't think this would be a good idea, and I will go into some of the reasons why I think this.

First, he really doesn't pay much attention to my brothers and I. Most of the time we are left to our own devices as he plays World of Warcraft. The times when he does pay attention are at supper time and whenever we help him maintain his apartment, which doesn't happen very often. Secondly, we rarely go anywhere besides the apartment, and there is not much to do there beyond using the computer and watching movies. If we do leave, it is to go to a movie theater or to rent a movie from the local video store. Third, he is very lax on discipline, which is especially bad for my youngest brother, who often takes advantage of this and doesn't do his homework as he should. Basically, it is not a very friendly environment.

No comments: