Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Returning from the ski trip

On Saturday, my family and I traveled to Mellen, Wisconsin, where we met up with a group from the Neenah-Menasha United Church of Christ, the church that my family attends. We stayed in the basement of the Mellon United Church of Christ and played word games before going to bed around 11:30.

We got up around 7:00 and ate breakfast. A large portion of the group was going cross country skiing, but my family and two others were going downhill sking at the Blackjack ski hill in Michigan's upper pennisula. I rented some skis and bought some poles and hit the slopes. Like most midwestern ski hills, Blackjack is relatively short. It has harder runs than Wisconsin ski hills and most family-oriented ski areas like Brule, but it was fairly easy for me. However, there was one run, Cameron's Spur, where I made a mistake. There was a large jump on the side of that run and I decided to take it once, only to get a small amount of air and have to turn my skis to start going downhill again. A second time off of the jump, I aimed lower, but ended up getting a whole lot of air and landing on the bottom of my lower back, which still hurts.

After Blackjack, the Church group headed back to Neenah, but as Valentine's day was set as the backup day for any snowdays, there was no school on Monday, so we headed north to Iron River to stay at the AmericInn hotel. It snowed during the night and the next day, we headed to Brule. I have been to Brule quite a few times before, and none of the runs are anything near challenging to me. However, it was a bit more fun with the fresh snow. After our day at Brule we headed home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey was just rolling thru wanted to let ya know ya got a cool blog here Nice Job.