Tuesday, May 17, 2005

An eventful stretch of days

On Saturday, I recieved a letter from Grinnell College saying that I had been accepted. This means that I will probably end up going to Grinnell over Lawrence. I am waiting for one more college letter, which I expect to arrive in Early June from The University of Chicago. That letter will be pivotal as that is my current top choice of college. However, it appears that I will have to enroll at Grinnell as I did at Lawrence, to ensure that I have a spot there for next year, should the UC decide against accepting me, which is quite possible.

On Sunday, I played horn for the Neenah-Menasha Congregational United Church of Christ's musical service with a group of brass players. The music ranged from good to painfully out of tune. It was most out of tune with the barbershop quartet that sang a few times, though the children's choir was not much better. I would say that the brass band's performance was mediocre and that some of the vocals from the adult choir and soloists were pretty good. Unfortunately, the service ran until noon, which constricted the time available to me to do my homework.

Afterward, I had a soccer game at 3:30. Our team was outnumbered and we lost 8-0. I was badly out of shape and was quite indifferent by the end of the first half. During the second half, I was goalie, and not much happened beyond a few more scores from the other team.

Shortly afterward, I attended the Senior Music Banquet, which recognized the seniors who are in music at Neenah High School for staying with music. It was a nice banquet, with a Jazz group from Lawrence University coming as entertainment. All the students recieved plaques and little bags symbolic items.

Monday was another normal day of school, though there was quite a bit of homework due yesterday. However, I did do something a bit bold: I decided to make Monday my last day on the Online Debate Network. The site has degenerated to a degree and there hasn't been much worth debating. I feel that with my eagle scout project and my trip to Minnesota in June to be with my grandfather while he recovers from a bone marrow transplant and some chemotherapy, I don't have time to participate there. I am no longer growing in my views or my outlook and there has been quite a bit of unrest there. I feel that it is best to move on and to seek other ways to expand my horizons.

Today was rather interesting. I woke up somewhat late and as I walked out of my bedroom, fully expecting to grab whatever stuff I needed for school and to run out the door in order to catch the bus, when I was instead told by my little brother that school was cancelled because of a bomb threat, so I could go back to bed. I gladly obliged and slept until about noon. I found out that the reason for school cancellation was not a bomb threat but a written threat on a bathroom stall that there would be a school shooting today (May 17). So, I guess that I will spend my extra time doing homework.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting into Grinnel Ben. I hope yo ucan make it into US also. Let me know if you need any help on your eagle scout project. I would be glad to lend you a hand. I helped out two of my other friends and had fun with that.

Ben Main said...

Thanks! The part of the Eagle Scout project that is holding me up the most is the butterfly shelter. I'm not sure how much you would be able to help with cutting wood, but you may be able to help with the assembly or installation.

Anonymous said...

Umm, if you need help with that, then sure. I don't know what you need to do to make a butterfly shelter, but tell me what I can can do to help and I will. Sorry it took me so long to repsond. I got busy with finals and moving out of college. Call me at 540-3389.