Monday, May 02, 2005

Cadaver Lab

I have been busy as of late, which is the main reason for the enormous time gaps in this blog. Today, I went with my Human Biology Class to Marquette University in Milwaukee to their Gross Anatomy Lab, where we were shown three partially dissected cadavers and some brains and a spinal cord. Though the formaldehyde smell was not pleasant, the experience was fun. It was interesting feeling the textures of the various organs, despite the fact that they had been treated with formaldehyde and were drying out, which made them more leathery and tough than they normally would have been. I did get to hold both two of the brains and look at them closely as well as a spinal cord. Recently, I have found myself more and more interested in neuroscience, and I have a feeling that I may pursue it in college.

I have enrolled at Lawrence University in order to keep my spot, but I am still keeping my options open to the two schools that waitlisted me. The school that I really want to go to is the University of Chicago, and I actually feel that I have a decent chance of being accepted. I have sent in a letter that I wrote as well as a letter of recommendation from a teacher I have known for quite a while and some grade transcripts. As well, I have been able to find a student that was accepted at UC who would be willing to write a letter of recommendation.

I am sensing the beginning of the end of my time on the Online Debate Network. Though it has been fun and I have been able to open my eyes to new opinions, I feel that I have learned all that I can from the site. Now, with college approaching and other events coming into play, I feel that I can better broaden my viewpoint through other means and I also feel that I will soon be too occupied to participate anyway. I hope that I've done a good job as moderator and even more, I hope that the site continues, as I think it is a jewel among forums to those seeking a better understanding of others' opinions.

My future as of now is up in the air. I recently placed well enough in the ACS's National Chemistry Olympiad preliminary test that I made it to the second level (and won $100). If I did well enough there, I should find out soon whether I will be able to participate as a member of the National Chemistry Olypiad Team in the International Chemistry Olympiad competition. Though I think that I may not have made it, as only 20 members of the team will be chosen, I need to keep my schedule open just in case.

As well, I will be staying with my grandfather at a transplant house while he undergoes some bone marrow transplants and chemotherapy for his myelomma. This will take place during the summer and I will be helping him with cooking as well as providing companionship. My Grandpa is great to talk to and I hope it goes well for him. I think he will do well as he has always been active and fit.

No comments: